top of page

Our Story

20240922_224836452_iOS_edited.jpg

Harmony Christian Church was organized in 1881 with the first meetings being held in the Bold Spring Schoolhouse. It is believed that Erastus Shelnutt was the preacher responsible for leading a small group of New Testament Believer who became known as the Harmony Christian Church. After the Church was organized, Mr. Danny Nicholls gave the Church a lot between the schoolhouse and the spring.

 

The Church met at the Bold Springs location until 1901 when the members decided to build a new church building. Mrs. Pamelia Frances Henry gave three acres of land, which is the site of the present building, for a church and cemetery. Mrs. Henry also gave the framing for the building and $100.00. The timber used for the framing was cut and hauled to the mill by Mr. Mack Yarbrough. Mr. Yarbrough also gave three weeks of labor on the building and $50.00. Other members also gave work and monetary donations towards the new building.


Some time during 1941 plans were being made to repair and paint the Church building.
Upon hearing of this Mr. Mose Gordon offered to give the materials for a new building, if the Church would build instead of repairing the old one. The congregation made a decision to accept Mr. Gordon's offer and build a new building. The building, consisting of a sanctuary and two Sunday school rooms, was dedicated on Sunday, July 12, 1942 as New Harmony Christian Church.
In 1960 two additional Sunday school rooms, a baptistery, and a basement with restrooms, kitchens and recreational area was added to the building. During the late 80's and early

90's plans were made to construct a fellowship hall. On Sunday, November 10, 1991 a dedication services was held for the new Fellowship Hall.


Harmony Christian Church has been striving since its inception to hold true to the New Testament Church as established on the Day of Pentecost. The winning of souls and the spiritual nourishment needed in maintaining the Christian life are a vital concern of the Church.
The first formal mission program began in 1971 with monthly support of the North Georgia Christian Service Camp. In 1974 there was an extension of the program to supporting the new mission work of Dennis and Lynn Free in Indonesia. The church also supports the work of local Gideons.


The Congregation has been served by numerous great preachers during its hundred and twenty years of service. Other than its organizer, Erastus Shelnutt, the Church has been served by the following men:
Thomas Foster
Luther Jackson
L.A. Winn
Earnest Miller
W.B. McDonald
E.M. Green
Curtis Christian
Estees Taylor
Jerry W. Payne served the church from November 8, 1970 until his death in February of 2023. Since then the church has been served by Randy Farmer and currently Chris Hildreth since April of this year.

bottom of page